I need more nerd friends...

Computer talk and such.... ok, ALMOST anything goes computer wise.
coonbottom
DFMYWMI

I need more nerd friends...

Post by coonbottom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 am

So I am a C# engineer by trade.

A few years ago I experimented with some Python. I know... high addiction rate but all of the cool kids are doing it these days. Call it peer pressure. But that is beside the pointer. In C#, to get data from a database (Sql Server) to the web (standard JSON array) it takes several hundred lines of code and if you, "do it correctly", like 14 F**K'N LAYERS of abstraction.

Several months ago I ran into Florida4x4 and he mentioned he had some Python work. So last week for the heck of it I decided to chase the white dragon again. Or rather, in this case, the white snake. In Python, to get data from a database (Sql Server Express) to the web (standard JSON array) it takes only 40 lines of code and you can do it in one script. I probably could have done it with fewer but, call me old fashion, I like to map my data to a class.

If I ever make a full REST API I am going to call it ... *drum roll* ..."Black Tar" ....heh

Moral of this story- Coonbottom now struggles to make funny post and Python loves you and wants you to be happy.
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Re: I need more nerd friends...

Post by ropeman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 am

Back in the mid 90s I would have been more interested; however, I have haven't done any coding since C++ was a new language. Isn't there a forum for nerds out there somewhere?

BTW, Facebook says you have a new pontoon boat. Where's the story about that?
coonbottom
DFMYWMI

Re: I need more nerd friends...

Post by coonbottom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 am

If we had a boat forum you would know.

...and stop stalking! :)

But yeah, I have a boat payment now. Hence the need to brush up on my Python/Angular. If an LLC was a tangible, physical thing, I would pick mine up and blow the dust off of it.