6" Trail Master mod for 1995 Tacoma

Discuss engines, trans, tcase, axles, suspension and such here.
Natural One
DFMYWMI

6" Trail Master mod for 1995 Tacoma

Post by Natural One » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:33 pm

As most of you know, I have been having trouble with the rubber strut mount that bolts onto the Trail Master lift for the Tacoma.  This happened to me back in September, luckily it happened when I hit a drop off in my neighborhood and not going highway speeds.

The strut mount itself is for Nissan car or something like that.  It was a really bad design flaw on Trail Masters side and everyone had trouble with, that might be why they are not in business anymore.  If you ask anyone online, they tell you to take it off and throw it away.  So I fixed it with a "new" one from Orileys, I say new in quotes because it was new, but the date on the box from '08.  I didn't happen to look at said box until last week when this happened.....AGAIN!  Same damn drop off and luckily in the hood so I could limp back home.  
I don't know if the rubber had broke down from being on a shelf for so long or what.  I just knew I didn't want to spend another $55 on another one....but they did cover it under warranty.  I was still sketchy on putting it back on there though.

Well, a buddy of mine had some spare parts from an '05 Tacoma laying around and we came up with this.  It's the top of a strut mount for a stock Tacoma.  I just had to take that part of of the lift off to get it on the bench.  At little drilling and some grinding and it was good to go.  This one is metal, so it shouldn't bust out of there anytime soon. The rubber grouments that came with it are on it also, top and bottom.

Finished product.  

A little drinking can help your thinking, but too much thinking can mess up your drinking!
scott
DFMYWMI

RE: 6" Trail Master mod for 1995 Tacoma

Post by scott » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Looks like the BEEF! Probably will manage the neighborhood drop off anyway :)

Did you do both sides?

I do have to admit that when I saw this thread I thought there was an SAS thread about to happen.
DFMYWMI

Post by Natural One » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

HAHAHAHA.... That is still on the "way down the road" list.....Maybe. Yeah, I did both sides.
A little drinking can help your thinking, but too much thinking can mess up your drinking!
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Gotta love a good looking Toyota on Boggers.
Figured you would have the center section busted out of that IFS before something else had time to fail.