Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by 78trouble » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am

I went to the lease Saturday evening and the yellow flies were ridiculous. I didn’t get bit but they were swarming. I’m glad I decided to leave my son with my parents and not take him. He would of got eaten alive
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:36 pm

I got Sinusitis of all things and was all but dead until I went to Urgent Care Friday. Meanwhile the rain started at about the same time so my fishing was sabotaged either way. I made it back down there yesterday all excited and left crying lol! The water level was fine but the water was the color of mud-hole-on-a-trail water. I did try and got nothing in the same place I loaded the cooler the other day. Atleast I know though. I’m looking forward to relearning the fishing and being as good down there as I used to be.

I hope to go to Goose Pasture tomorrow where you can always catch bream no matter what. Obviously you could catch them on the St Marks too but probably not above Natural Bridge without the weather’s cooperation.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Just got home from fishing in Okeechobee for the last few days.
We don't fish the lake itself much but fish in the rim canal.
I can't tell you how many bluegill we caught but it was enough that I got tired of dealing with them and started targeting other species.
We fished through the better part of 2000 crickets
I kept a bunch of cichlids to try out and a mess of shellcrackers and a handful of largemouth
I have a bunch of uncleaned bluegills if anyone would like a mess give me a call tomorrow.
These users thanked the author 32IHmudrunner for the post:
Natural One (Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am)
Rating: 20%
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:17 pm

Used to fish the rim back when I sold tackle. My company was in Okeechobee city. Best day spec fishing ever was with Bill Dance in the mouth of the Kissimmee river. Wore em out....Bill caught two to my one tho..
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Came in on a helicopter and landed in our parking lot.

If I remember the Oscars are pretty good. FWC told us to throw them on the bank if we didn't want them.
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:00 am

I still love watching the bloopers reel from Bill Dance.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

hes a fish catching machine....
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 pm

I actually have the older, rare DVD of all of his VHS bloopers rolled into the 1 DVD. I think I read somewhere that he doesn’t own the rights to his oldest shows and that any old footage that has since popped up was home video. Anyway it’s so dang funny lol! Him being younger he tries alot of crazy stuff out fishing in the woods, and there alot more beeps lol!

I’m a little worried about the fishing hole I’ve been rambling on about for the last several weeks after today. I went back today and it was still muddy so I made a day out of it seeing if I could paddle from the bridge to the spring. If it weren’t for the logs it would have took 20 minutes.

Somewhere in the middle I heard a voice - then I seen a forest ranger uniform lol! He was cool even after I mentioned something that I haven’t mentioned here but I think ya’ll have figured out. I’ve been bending the rules on the walking trails. I’ve driven down roads that we’re not supposed to drive down before over on the SRWMD land and neither they or the game wardens cared as long as they knew I was just a poor ole boy bream fishing. I never had any beer, was legal for fishing etc. He just laughed and said don’t let the game wardens catch you and I asked about what was ultimately going to happen with the state forest, access etc. He said they will only have 1 kayak launch spot if any, and that they are going to fix the bridge and everything else will remain hiking trails.

He also mentioned that you will not be allowed to paddle into the spring...they can do that??? Anyway since he said that I paddled on in in case this was my last chance (I was just going to paddle to the entrance). I got there and there were 4 rangers including the same guy and he explained that he meant that we are already not allowed to paddle into the spring 👀👀👀

They were cool though and they saw that I clearly wasn’t 1 of the troublemakers that the rules are in place to keep out and we talked more about the issues that surround the place before I left. I feel like I’ve pushed my luck enough though. I better just keep out until they make a place for us to drive to and launch.

I sure hope they do...it’d be a boring life without my St Marks River, especially now that I had it back for a half a summer after 25 dang years.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:29 pm

I can't count the number of places in Florida I've known wild be "managed by burocrats" to the point of being less. Parking areas, paving, kiosks, snackbars, and general tourist improvements.

peacock slough
The keys in general
Chuckolosky
Flamingo
Wakulla river
Blue sink in the ONF
Suwaunee river is now a ski course
Caves of Jackson County
Oak Hill Shrimping
Silver Glen Springs
On and on. Progress i guess, but damn, I'm glad I'm old enough to have experienced it before gravel and paving.
Swamp
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 pm

I mean I get it...we’re oddballs. The average person, if they can do nothing else in life, can trash the f*** out of a river. Fast. Just look at the St Marks. What used to be the top half (used to be because man made erosion and sewage) of the River is basically a retention lake for Tallahassee. And we all know about the oil spill down on the bottom. Then somehow the middle is pristine. And the somehow is because people haven’t been in it lol!

They seem to have changed philosophies. They used to seemingly be obsessed with getting people to the places to do everything but what the places are for (Suwannee River and skiing smh). Now they want everybody out which I can respect because of everybody else but dang just 1 place to drive to the river should be doable!
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 am

Brother i feel you. I was fishing the st marks and wakulla rivers in the 70's. Back when it was hard.
Now, I just wish it was hard like back then. scrape up the parking lots, get rid of the paved ramps and paved trails. That would take out 98 % of the folks now. Wouldn't need a fence. Would also get rid of the azzholes that litter.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm

I went to the Aucilla today and should have caught 100 double hand sizers but ended up with 8. I got a late start so I had the nifty idea to go into some river sinks that have been closed off to vehicles like the St Marks now, for years. The big ones...pretty far off of the beaten Florida Trail. The second that hook it the water a Bluebream grabbed it. Unfortunately everything was so growed up you could barely fish. Then when you caught one it scared away everything in the 1 place you could fish. Before leaving I got another Bluebream, then lost another, then lost a Bass who made enough racket to spook everything away period. This all happened in 4 spots so 4 spots yielded 4 fish, but there was nowhere else to fish and I would have lost half of the up the steep bank anyway had they cooperated. I figured I’d better scoot on down to the river and get my boat in the water since they were biting so good.

But the main river was a few feet to high. I caught 6 more with more effort than I’m worth. I’m going to have to invest in a kayak to drag around. I used to catch bucket fulls in those sinkholes when you could drive to them. They’re usually a few feet behind the main river at all times and today was the perfect example. Perfectly still black water with bream ready to attack while the main river a few feet to high and very few bites.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 pm

I went to the Aucilla today and should have caught 100 double hand sizers but ended up with 8. I got a late start so I had the nifty idea to go into some river sinks that have been closed off to vehicles like the St Marks now, for years. The big ones...pretty far off of the beaten Florida Trail. The second that hook it the water a Bluebream grabbed it. Unfortunately everything was so growed up you could barely fish. Then when you caught one it scared away everything in the 1 place you could fish. Before leaving I got another Bluebream, then lost another, then lost a Bass who made enough racket to spook everything away period. This all happened in 4 spots so 4 spots yielded 4 fish, but there was nowhere else to fish and I would have lost half of the up the steep bank anyway had they cooperated. I figured I’d better scoot on down to the river and get my boat in the water since they were biting so good.

But the main river was a few feet to high. I caught 6 more with more effort than I’m worth. I’m going to have to invest in a kayak to drag around. I used to catch bucket fulls in those sinkholes when you could drive to them. They’re usually a few feet behind the main river at all times and today was the perfect example. Perfectly still black water with bream ready to attack while the main river a few feet to high and very few bites.