Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by ropeman » Wed May 29, 2019 3:16 pm

I will probably have time to take a walk down there Thursday after 5. It's been a while since I've been there, but would recognize the bridge.
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Post by 78trouble » Wed May 29, 2019 4:02 pm

I’m not sure what gate you are referring to. Where exactly are you putting in at ? So inside the red is all stare land that used to be part of our lease which is 3000 acres. We still have 5500 owned by a private owner we lease from. The green is a second spring the yellow is horn springs.
Attachments
414BBB8B-4572-41DC-A631-240F1522D6DE.jpeg
414BBB8B-4572-41DC-A631-240F1522D6DE.jpeg (144.12 KiB) Viewed 141 times
61D0F6D1-0302-4829-BC69-68546DD4E25B.jpeg
61D0F6D1-0302-4829-BC69-68546DD4E25B.jpeg (120.72 KiB) Viewed 141 times
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 pm

So you were able to drive from Old Plank towards horn springs? How close were you able to get driving before having to walk? I have been wanting to take the yak up there.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 pm

BtK towards yes...straight to no. The walk on the beaten trail is close to 2 miles then you have to cross the river at the bridge for what appears to be a tad longer walk. The road on the other side appeared to be fixed also but of course I haven’t seen for myself up close yet. I’ve decided I’m going to fish in the river tomorrow and not go to the spring. We have all summer to swim and take pictures but fishing in places like this you have to hit it while you can. It was drier than this last year before we ended up flooded for the rest of the summer. And if doesn’t rain at all...lol!!!

78trouble the 2 gates to the state forest. 1 is
on Tram Road and 1 is on Old Plank Road. If I float a boat there are a couple of less glamorous places upriver that you can drive to. I don’t know if I’m going to do that or just walk to the bridge again and fish off the bank though. Just whichever I feel like doing tomorrow.

EDIT: well that might have just all changed. My sister just texted that she’s bringing my niece over who is my favorite person in the world who I haven’t got to see at all since she started her first year of school :cry: :cry: :cry:

I guess we’ll just see. My sister and me stomped around that place at that age but the unusually crazy yellowflies, even by yellowfly standards, would probably be to much.
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Post by 78trouble » Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 am

I’m gonna have to go check out the road off old plank you speak of. If you crossed over a bridge it can’t be the one at the spring unless the state rebuilt it and if they did you should have seen the spring cause it was rite next to the bridge. I’m curious if I can get closer to walk to the spring from my hunting lease or from the road you speak of.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Well boys I went and it was EPIC! Fish fry in my near future. If I told you the whole story you’d think I was lying though.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm

Fishermen are lyers.

I'm a fisherman.

So......tell me the lies
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Of course...I’m among the cheese off the same block here (mmmm cheese grits). I got there with a can of worms because while I can usually catch all I need with lures, I wasn’t going without the sure thing in a place I hadn’t fished in in 25 years not counting the occasional trip way down to Natural Bridge.

There was so much brush in the untrafficked water though that it was impossible to fish with worms without getting hung up. I tried a cork but that wasn’t much help. When I didn’t get hung up though, it was a fat Stumpknocker every time. And 1 time a fat Bluebream. But I lost all the worms pretty fast between all of that.

I then tied on a lure and it was a fat Redbreast or a 10 inch bass every time without getting hung up. That obviously eliminated the Stumpknockers down in the brush but the Redbreasts and Bass were nailing it literally every time. And 1 of the Redbreasts was a double hand sizer. And this all happened in a very small distance. I had 1 worm left when I got to the 2nd log that I would have had to drag over not counting the 1 at the launch spot which I bypassed by dragging the boat over cypress knees instead lol! I got out and caught 1 Stumpknocker off the bank on the other side of the log then paddled back up, and fished with the lure just to the log I did drag over and caught the Redbreasts and Bass. So I basically refished the tiny distance where I’d already been with a lure after the worms.

I’m going to make the paddle to Horn Spring, logs and all, soon maybe. I wanted to keep going down river today but having not been there in so long I had so much s*** that going over logs was a borderline deathtrap. Not just fishing stuff but way to overkill safety stuff like my iPhone, a whole cooler of liquids and food I didn’t need, etc. If I make the paddle it will be with 1 fishing pole just for fun, phone, paddle and 1 cooler.
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Thu May 30, 2019 11:20 pm

I took a ride down that way, but them damn yellar flies had me in the truck with the AC in A
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 pm

The promise of unfished water is an attraction most fishers can't resist. I was lucky enuff to fish farm 13 and the stick marsh for over a year before it was "opened".

of course we had to had to jump the dyke, in a jacked up gheenoe with a 40hp yamaha...
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Did ya notice how it didn’t take to much asking to get me to tell the story lol! I didn’t mention that I threw all the Bass back. I normally throw the double hand sizer Redbreasts back but I kept the big boy today.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 am

I love catching red belly's....upper oklockonee up here is full of em.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:20 am

Them river red bellies are the best eating bream in my opinion.
I keep them bass also just because they are good eating and to keep the population under control.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Rivers so low right now you can walk it and not get your shoes filled up.
We need some rain bad. Nothing heading to Florida right now
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:03 pm

Flint is low and real clear...wore out the bream today