Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by swamp donkey » Mon May 13, 2019 8:38 pm

son in law has his 13HP for sale on let go. just built it, new engine and SS prop. Pavo Georgia.

im getting too old to run mine, so i told him if he finds me a 25 electric start i'll give it to him.

I do love the damn thing tho...best motor i've ever had.
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Post by 78trouble » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 am

Not much of the bridge is left if any. It had the middle section cut out after st. Joe leased the land out to hunters to keep people from crossing over. I was in the club that leased the land then it got sold out from under us to the Mormons and the EPA wouldn’t let them do what they wanted with the land because of the spring/river so they put it up for sale and the state bought it. It is open to foot traffic but no motor vehicles. I wonder if the state will rebuild the bridge now that they own both sides of the river now.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 am

I’d simply like to see the spot. I had so many fun times there as a youngun but would never find it on my own especially with the bridge gone (I was told it’s literally gone).
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm

What were the Mormons planning on doing with the land there? I thought they just bought it to flip to the state.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sun May 19, 2019 9:50 pm

They were planning to run cattle on the properties but the EPA didn't want the runoff entering the river/aquifer
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Well that's a good thing!
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 am

I spent the day in the Plank Road Forest today and I think I made it very close to Horn Spring. Google Maps indicated so and while Google Maps has s*** the bed in the woods with me many times, what I saw with my own eyes indicated I was close also. I snuck down 1 of the pigtail roads and came to some shallow but fast running water in a skinny channel. I think that was the channel from the spring to the river which flows on it’s own from the swamp (uppermost river). I’m going to get back down there with some long britches and rubber boots and maybe or maybe not my boat.

I couldn’t safely get to anywhere on the river itself though. I did get to the 2 pretty good sized creeks that feed the river above Horn Spring but I wouldn’t dare try the paddle by myself. I don’t mind paddling long ways but not when the final destination isn’t a guarantee. You never know if a creek will become undoable or how easy it is to get mixed up until you have done so lol!

Has anybody here been to the spring or the actual river by way of the Forest since they’ve redone it and opened it? I would obviously love the tip on how to get there lol!
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Tue May 28, 2019 12:16 pm

I would like to explore that area again. Should have done it already when the temps weren't around 100!
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue May 28, 2019 5:15 pm

I’ve went back Monday and got straightened out. The day of my above post the yellowflies were so thick and it was so hot I flat out couldn’t think straight lol! They’re just that thick.

So anyway I went back with long pants and plenty of water. The road I was on was the old entrance to Horn Spring from the Old Plank Road side which has been fixed by whoever did all the work lately making it into a State Forest. It had since been replaced with the entrance that went to Horn Spring from Natural Bridge Road. When I say since I don’t necessarily mean recently. I remember only going in through Natural Bridge Road and I’m 37 but anybody who knows the history of Old Plank Road etc etc etc. So anyway, very little additional walking down the riverbank which was apparently a river road type thing before (they quit repairing the road at that point) brought me to WHAT I THINK WAS THE OLD BRIDGE :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :heart: :heart: :heart: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :otay: :otay: :otay:

I don’t know what other bridge it could have been in spite of what I’d heard about the bridge being gone. I didn’t see any burn marks but I didn’t look to hard in the poison ivy and I sure didn’t see repairs. It was just there in ruins. Besides how many bridges could there have been across the upper St Marks River?

A quick look at Google Maps showed me that Horn Spring is just over that bridge which would have connected the Old Plank Road and Natural Bridge Road entrances. I was mistaken about where I parked being the spring channel. It’s the actual river which opened up pretty wide just around the corner. The paddle to the Horn Spring channel and up to it doesn’t appear to be a long one according to Google Maps either. I don’t know if crossing and walking to it on that other road is legal so I won’t try that just yet. Is that side the forest also? Or the hunting club or what? I’ve emailed the State Forest people and FB’d Horn Spring Hunt club but neither have responded. If nothing else I’ll so make that paddle. Logs are the only issue. If not for them and the yellowflies dare I say the paddle would be easy.

If you’re not tired of reading my ramble just yet here is what else happened Monday. With everything figured out I decided to wet a line. The yellowflies went to work fast but a bream popped my lure on the first throw so I made another. After a few twitches and cranks I was being eaten alive so I started reeling in fast to get out of there and right at my feet a bucketmouth bass nailed it. 1 turn of his head was all it took to get free :blowup:
These users thanked the author BloodyChamp for the post (total 2):
scott (Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 pm) • BillytheKid (Wed May 29, 2019 9:22 am)
Rating: 40%
78trouble
DFMYWMI

Post by 78trouble » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am

Pics would help a lot in identifying where you were at. If it was the bridge at the spring the middle section would be missing. Both sides of the river at the bridge is owned by the state. Yes it is open to foot traffic. No motor vehicles. The hunting lease boundary is the old sandy road off of natural bridge rd. I have a map of all the roads on the spring side I will try and post up if it helps any. I also have a ton of pics from being in the lease for the past 8 yrs or so
78trouble
DFMYWMI

Post by 78trouble » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am

A few I found of the spring. I’m not sure if the the building is still standing or the docks we built.
Attachments
3B54B66F-C4B6-4ECC-A40D-129395FF62AD.jpeg
3B54B66F-C4B6-4ECC-A40D-129395FF62AD.jpeg (218.97 KiB) Viewed 155 times
25CCEAF9-7616-489C-9965-3E6FF48B6988.jpeg
25CCEAF9-7616-489C-9965-3E6FF48B6988.jpeg (363.59 KiB) Viewed 155 times
44A6F466-8272-44C1-8F3F-F65BA9FFE43D.jpeg
44A6F466-8272-44C1-8F3F-F65BA9FFE43D.jpeg (290.35 KiB) Viewed 155 times
8708817E-2872-4074-A9BC-156ACAE7EB58.jpeg
8708817E-2872-4074-A9BC-156ACAE7EB58.jpeg (207.37 KiB) Viewed 155 times
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am

So then the boundary is somewhere in between Natural Bridge Road and Horn Spring. I found the State Forest map online but it was pixelated and it looked like it was done halfassed anyway. But anyway I guess that settles that. I can paddle or walk legally. I like it. It’s doable as it is for anybody worth a s*** and it keeps out the lazy people who are usually also the people who leave trash, tear up the place etc. I hope I get to go tomorrow but it will depend on how late I work tonight.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 pm

1 more question that will sound dumb but here goes. Do the main gates stay open? I’m assuming they do like most places and the sunrise to sunset rule is done through the honor system.

I don’t plan on breaking that rule or any others, but I’m asking in case something happens. I also wouldn’t go if I didn’t think it was safe but you could get in trouble somewhere at dark without anything even close to the worst happening. And this place is particular is obviously not a walk in the park.
78trouble
DFMYWMI

Post by 78trouble » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

The boundary starts at natural bridge and heads north and fallows the river on the south side of the river and grows all the way to the next county to the east of Leon co. The state owns both sides of the river and I believe it goes all the way up to tram rd. As for the gates/cables for the roads as far as I know they should remain closed at all times.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm

The 2 main gates to the forest I mean. They have been open every time I’ve been and they have a sign that says daylight use only (or something to that extent...don’t remember the exact words). O well I doubt anybody comes along and closes them and I doubt I’ll get trapped in the dark or whatever.