Volcanos and Rapids...

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Re: Volcanos and Rapids...

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:54 pm

headwaters are located in a pasture in Merrillville GA about halfway between thomasville and coolidge.

cool book by Robert Balfour "in search of the aucilla". Bob owns Balfour Land & Lumber and several Plantations in thomas county.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:04 pm

I have that book
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Good book, so do i!

I've never been to a Sneads. Is the fishing worth looking at?
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 pm

here's some pics i took of the Ochlock near my house on a rise from rain showers this afternoon...

its walkable up here, closer to tville its small boatable...

pete
These users thanked the author swamp donkey for the post:
Natural One (Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am)
Rating: 20%
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 pm

I personally love Sneads because I grew up with it but it’s not the most glamorous fishing. Alot of Blackfish and the locals trash it up.

But there are bass out there if you want to say you pulled a bass out of a sure enough swamp. And of course bream and Warmouth. And even the occasional Speck.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:48 pm

I like moving water fishing. I really love the Suwaunee for huge redbellys.

Fast water, fast fish...
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm

I’ve been bream fishing down the Suwannee once and it was bream heaven. I remember the mullet piling up in the spring we sat in also but it was full of people and I was a youngun. I’ve since been hoping to find another place like that a little closer. This was a vacation somewhere in 1 of the bigger towns.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm

I've been fishing on the bottom end of the Suwanee in the town of Suwanee and we couldn't buy a damn bream seemed like.
We wound up fishing the ditches along the old train road and got a mess.
It's pretty river but we couldn't get on the bream for nothing.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:15 am

better bream fishing up around Old Town. water is faster and cleaner. fast water = red belly's, slow inside curves = bluegill and shellcrackers.

now, the boat basin down at the town of Suwaunee on the river side is where i see folks mullit fishing all the time.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 am

I wouldn’t know for sure but I don’t doubt those were river bream you caught. They were probably backed in there during high water. The Aucilla River bream around here end up in places you wouldn’t believe when it gets high lol!

I had the wildest day hiking to the Pinhook Bridge that I didn’t make it to. Almost as soon as I got out of the truck I saw a wild hog, then 2 more. And as soon as I got out of the truck I saw a huge fish in a very shallow creek lol!

They had done a ton of work on the trail since last year when it was a walk through hell. I made it to where I turned around last year with trusty rubber boots and stomped through for another mile. They’d quit cleaning up probably 2 miles back so after 5 miles of walking, 2 of which were treacherous, I turned around again. Before I did though I took a look at Google Maps which didn’t work down there last year but it picked up a signal today. It said I was going in the wrong direction and was almost to the f****** Aucilla River from way west where I’d started. I was still on some sort of old tram road bed so I figured Google Maps was just screwy and that the trip from there just wasn’t doable.

Then on the way out I saw a trail where I could have turned. They had kept cleaning down it and they put out some of that orange paint on the trees. That was obviously the trail I needed and that other one...wow I don’t doubt that I was the only person there since the town of Pinhook itself dried up or the railroad, whichever went last.

I was almost exhausted so I went on back to the truck and by the time I got there I was exhausted lol! 10 mile walk total. Then on the way out you’ll think I’m making this up to be funny but nope...starts to rain no big deal then wait there’s a giant tree down in the road. Still not the biggest deal in the world because I have a chain. Well I could just barely get it hooked up without backing into the culvert, which I had to to because hooking it up in the middle would have just drug it down the road and not cleared the road. And somewhere in the middle of all that I grabbed my fishing pole and got the hook stuck in my finger past the barb. I had FOUND a pair of needlenose pliers on the ground yesterday and tossed them in the back of the truck thank gosh or I really would have been in a mess as I’d left my tackle box home and only brought the 1 pole to wet a hook after I reached my destination. I yanked it out and got the tree moved and made it home lol ugh...
Florida Bronco
DFMYWMI

Post by Florida Bronco » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:03 am

Good Times....
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am

The did a good enough job of cleaning it up that you can take a bicycle down it now. I’ll probably do that next time. My ultimate goal before I die is to go as far up the river as possible which I’d prefer to do without going through the gulf from the Aucilla like the flats fishermen do. And of course down the river which would be a piece of cake as it’s plenty wide once you get to the bridge.

The route to the other side of the bridge is longer but way more streamlined, so much that you could bike with a kayak attached on a trailer if you wanted to. 1 thing at a time though.
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Where did you park to hike? I want to scout around Goose Pasture this fall, but I don't think that's the area you're talking about.

Scott, they have a road named after you near Wacissa! Google map it!

Tin Top Rd, Monticello, FL
These users thanked the author ropeman for the post:
scott (Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 am)
Rating: 20%
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:49 pm

At the gate lol! Not where you apparently used to park all the way out on HWY 98 according to everything I’ve Googled and FB’d. You turn off of 98 and go to the Florida Trail where they have a gate.

Goose Pasture is my all time favorite place ever but I’m borederline ashamed of it now. Goose Pasture itself has survived but the river overall, particularly above the dam, is in horrible shape. And there are early signs downriver of the same stuff happening long before I die.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Explain what you mean about the Wacissa?

Been about 10 years since I've been down there. I did take the WMD to task about the trailers with no axles and veg gardens in the camp grounds. Threatened them with the old ADA. And the fact it's transient and not permanent according to their rules.

So what does it look like now? Still permanent deer camps paying no rent?