Volcanos and Rapids...

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Re: Volcanos and Rapids...

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:22 pm

The campers have about vanished. The hippie campers bolt as soon as it gets to hot of course, and I’m just assuming that all of the old timers who used to camp almost all summer have moved on.

As for the river there is a bad silt problem and the water is 3 feet deep in most places above the dam, but if you hop out of the boat you will be waist deep...3 feet of water and 2 feet of silt, more in some places.

I think I know what the problem is but it’s a very unpopular subject with the locals. They try to angle it towards the dam which has a separate set of problems, the biggest 1 of which they ignore because it’s all their dam fault no pun intended lol!

Years ago some locals pulled some boulders from the dam to set out at their campsite to look good. The dam has been slowly crumbling ever since but people swear that has nothing to do with it, and that the dam needs to go. Aka it was a bunch of people’s fault a million years ago not ours, and the hundreds of years in between the dam and the removal of the boulders when the river was in perfect shape is just irrelevant. The water of course whooshes through so fast now that all that’s left is silt.

As for the silt itself, that’s from the years of outboards that were to big for the place going up and down the river wide open. The bottom as been boiled up so much that the place is a glorified mud hole. The locals have an out for the too of course...O the motors helped with the hydrilla, O you can’t get down the river without a run etc. It all started in the mid90s when traffic on the river increased but of course that’s also an irrelevant coincidence if you ask anybody including the county commissioner who I’ve argued with endlessly.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am

I'm talking about all the people that were living there permanently, squatting, not camping. I guess they cracked the whip, as they needed to. I was pissed when I went and there was nowhere to camp because of those living there. Being handicapped i raised hell with the state. They told me it would be handled. I never went back...

Silt problem...remove the dam, let the river run natural, dry out the bed and remove the silt. Velocity of the water in the natural channel will do the same. Once restored, put the dam back in and restrict HP.

Kills the hydrilla, removes the silt from slow moving water, restored the recreational value of the higher water. Boom.

I used to fish the Wacissa in the 1970's, so I know what it used to look like.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm

To much silt for such a simple solution imo. It would have to be physically removed which I don’t even know can be done. There hardly even is any hydrilla anymore let alone ribbon grass and the pretty aquatic grasses.

They were going to make it canoes only in the late 80s I think. Dang dang dang if only they would have been able to.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 pm

It can be done, seen it many times in South central florida. Dry it out then bulldoze it out and truck it out. All the big lakes in central Florida when they do weed eradication that shit sinks and rots. After a while no clean bottom for bedding. Toho took about 3 years to do. Thousands of cubic yards of black dirt the state sold....
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Those are lakes though. The river is springfed nonstop. And fed by wetlands.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 pm

But there's a dam. How much will the water go down if the dam is breached? That's the question...if it does its dryable and removable. Channel will self clean from the increased velocity of the water. Silting is due to low velocitys.

Merritt mill pond in Jackson County is a prime example.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm

There’s more velocity now than before because the dam is leaking so bad on top of the silt problem. There’s just that much of it! And it ain’t moving lol! And of course whenever it manages to become navigable with a big boat for a month or so during rain season the big boats spend that month doing nothing but bogging it up.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Yep, the level of stupid is unmatched in boat operation in florida.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Have you been back to the Steinhatchee River mullet spot you were talking about a couple years ago, lately? I got away from mullet with my Horn obsession there but that’s still what I think about alot. Everything around here of course is to dark.

The shallow end of the Suwannee River in Live Oak looked good yesterday though. I had to take my Uncle to Gainesville and I wish we could have stopped off and checked for mullet in some of the springs. Instead we just swung by Falmouth Spring real fast and an oldtimer there said the mullet gather up around 2 pipes that flow into the river there on River Road. Unfortunately it sounds like he was talking about the Pilgrim chicken factory pipe lol!