Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by ropeman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Has anybody else been fishing lately? I went three times between Christmas and New Year, but only caught 2 short reds. :(

Also, is there any other site like bigbendfishing.net that has good reports of where to fish? I'm tired of spending the day casting and not catching!
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:27 pm

I also use bigbendfishing. I will add you to a group on facebook that I am on. It has a lot of kayak guys, but is not strictly for kayaks.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm

We had guys down from GA from the 26th to the 30th.
We had to hunt them but we caught a shit ton of short reds and more than enough slot sized fish. Lots of black drum eating size to go with mullet cast netted.
A few trout that we were not hunting particularly including the largest I've ever seen in person at 27" (legit size I measured myself)
We ate all we could and sent the rest home the GA boys.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Don t see a lot of trout that size anymore. Great catch!
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:10 am

Sounds like a good fishing trip! Where were you fishing? I have been told that I was in the wrong spots because of too much rain. I'm going to try some tidal creeks west of the lighthouse this Saturday and see what happens.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 pm

We typically fish out of Spring Creek and stay fairly close.
Fished the deeper holes close to the bars with mud minnows and live shrimp. We stayed on the creek side of Shell Point.
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 am

I want to check out the Spring Creek area one day soon! I haven't been there in years. We went to the Econfina River Saturday afternoon. It seemed like the same old thing from 1:30 until 4:30, but then we had 5 redfish bites in a row. 4 were 14-17" and 1 was 20".
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked
Been thanked: 0

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 pm

I’m not the flatfishing expert by any means but what happened this winter is that it wasn’t cold enough (until just now) for the fish to haul into the rivers. And the few that did didn’t have to go far because of all the freshwater that keeps falling from the sky.

I came here tonight to say 1 thing though. The area of woods I used to fish in when I was a youngun has been bought by the state and turned into a state forest. I was looking for information on getting in years ago and found this place. I’m talking about the 1 and only Horn Spring! The plan is to streamline the forest a little to much for my liking and whether I like it or not it poses environmental issues. Hopefully that all gets lost in the shuffle like that State Park on Tram Road stuff did during the recession. For now anyway I’m excited about Horn Spring again. Haven’t seen it since I was about 12.
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:39 am

I grew up down on Old Plank Rd, and have spent many hours roaming the woods in that area including Horn Springs. A buddy an I took a jon boat from the park all the way up to the springs. That was probably 25 years ago and there weren't as many trees down. I am tempted to give it a try with the kayak.
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah, I was happy to hear that area would be public access again. I have never gone all the way to the spring on a boat, but have been on that end of the river. Is it legal to cut trees out of the way on the river?
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 pm

I don't know. I have thought about taking a saw with me also.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Do you remember the old wooden bridge by any chance? My old man drove his 79 Bronco across it, and it was probably the last vehicle to ever cross it which either makes my old man great or...yeah lol! Long story lol!. I haven’t made it back down there as my life changed shortly after I posted here last which I believe was in this thread. I’ve caught a ton of nice bream and bass out of that area over the years as an adult and of course in my youth with Daddy. I simply never made it back to the spring. Believe it or not there are also some feisty hand sized Warmout Perch and 10 inch Pike above the spring in the blackwater.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Might as well dump this here. Has anybody seen any mullet anywhere besides way out in the flats? I’ve been to my 2 favorite mullet fishing places (Nutall Rise and Newport) twice and seen very few. Today at Nutall Rise I seen 0. And I had 3 times as much chum in the water as usual, seeing how I simply dumped it into a peanut sack and plopped it into the water instead of mixing a few handfulls of it with water and tossing it out like I usually do. The reason I did that is because I started out a Goose Pasture where the water whooshes so fast that you can’t get the chum to sink. There were some mullet there but for some reason they’re always zooming around like torpedos and jumping out of the water. I’ve only been able to catch them actually feeding and being docile once in my life and that was in 2007 when mullet were everywhere that 1 year.

I wouldn’t mind trying some of the nearest springs on the Suwannee or places like Hickory Mound or Keaton Beach even though I’ve never tried to catch any with a fishing pole from saltwater.
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

Yeah we used to go to the springs all the time as a kid. There was a really bad mud hole right after the bridge also that a lot of people would get stuck in if they didn't take the right line. I remember crossing the bridge after it had a large spot burned, but that was in my dad's 70's model Suzuki jeep which was pretty small and light.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Yes! The bridge got burned but if you went over it then then my old man wasn’t the last one. You have to show me where it was 1 day!