Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by swamp donkey » Mon May 13, 2019 8:38 pm

son in law has his 13HP for sale on let go. just built it, new engine and SS prop. Pavo Georgia.

im getting too old to run mine, so i told him if he finds me a 25 electric start i'll give it to him.

I do love the damn thing tho...best motor i've ever had.
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Post by 78trouble » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 am

Not much of the bridge is left if any. It had the middle section cut out after st. Joe leased the land out to hunters to keep people from crossing over. I was in the club that leased the land then it got sold out from under us to the Mormons and the EPA wouldn’t let them do what they wanted with the land because of the spring/river so they put it up for sale and the state bought it. It is open to foot traffic but no motor vehicles. I wonder if the state will rebuild the bridge now that they own both sides of the river now.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked
Been thanked: 0

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 am

I’d simply like to see the spot. I had so many fun times there as a youngun but would never find it on my own especially with the bridge gone (I was told it’s literally gone).
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm

What were the Mormons planning on doing with the land there? I thought they just bought it to flip to the state.
32IHmudrunner
DFMYWMI

Post by 32IHmudrunner » Sun May 19, 2019 9:50 pm

They were planning to run cattle on the properties but the EPA didn't want the runoff entering the river/aquifer
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Well that's a good thing!
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked
Been thanked: 0

Post by BloodyChamp » Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 am

I spent the day in the Plank Road Forest today and I think I made it very close to Horn Spring. Google Maps indicated so and while Google Maps has s*** the bed in the woods with me many times, what I saw with my own eyes indicated I was close also. I snuck down 1 of the pigtail roads and came to some shallow but fast running water in a skinny channel. I think that was the channel from the spring to the river which flows on it’s own from the swamp (uppermost river). I’m going to get back down there with some long britches and rubber boots and maybe or maybe not my boat.

I couldn’t safely get to anywhere on the river itself though. I did get to the 2 pretty good sized creeks that feed the river above Horn Spring but I wouldn’t dare try the paddle by myself. I don’t mind paddling long ways but not when the final destination isn’t a guarantee. You never know if a creek will become undoable or how easy it is to get mixed up until you have done so lol!

Has anybody here been to the spring or the actual river by way of the Forest since they’ve redone it and opened it? I would obviously love the tip on how to get there lol!