Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Re: Would it be crazy to use a duck boat on the flats?

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Welp I made it today. Man it was great. Wish my old man was still here for the return to the bass hole.

I slid the boat in and forced myself to start paddling instead of fishing. As soon as I got past Horn Spring I started throwing the lure occasionally, not fishing hard. It was no longer 10 inchers, it was 14 and 16 inchers! And 4 nice Bream that also hit the lure. At 1 point I caught 3 Bass in a row then lost another 1 that was even bigger! He came unhooked but the Zebco was about stripped out anyway lol!

So I grabbed the baitcaster and put on the plastic worm because I could feel it in my bones that I was about to hook a monster, plus it was getting pretty dang deep. I turned the next corner and bam there I was...the wide and deep part that I’d been looking for.

Then the bottom fell out of the sky :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

There was no thunder so I thought about waiting it out but I was so far out in the jungle at that point I figured I’d better turn around and head back. I’d caught probably 15 Bass and the 4 Bream, and lost a ton of bream on the bigger bass lure (had been using a smaller lure the previous trips) and while I made it to the big hole, I didn’t fish it still.

On the way back I *think* the 15 pound range fish I saw in the clear but choppy water (from the rain) was a grass carp. I don’t remember any of those ever being down there but I have seen the occasional one in some Aucilla sinkholes. He moved fast which they don’t normally do, and it clearly wasn’t a Blackfish or a Gar. If it wasn’t a Carp it was a...yeah lol!!!!!! Still need to go back 1 more time!
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Take some pics when you go......
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:57 pm

I always do! Do the links for pics here work for FB? Every time I’ve been to a pic hosting site in the last several years it’s been a ad, spyware etc disaster.
BillytheKid
DFMYWMI

Post by BillytheKid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:49 am

You should be able to post the pics directly here as long as they are sized correctly.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm

I lost a bucketmouth today :doh: :doh: :doh: That makes 2 now if you remember. That was the worst part of a good day though. I caught plenty of Bream and several more Bass, 14-16 inchers again plus 1 more that was a little better but not a bucketmouth. Those all went back. That was a Grass Carp I seen the other day, I saw 3 of them today clearly.

I also made it through the big water part and on back into the narrow river which was the ultimate goal all summer. I kept catching bass the whole time lol but the big bad booty daddys are obviously in the big water. Fun times that I’ll never forget just like when my Daddy took me.

The biggest Bass came unhooked but the truth is I would have never got him. He wasn’t even fighting. I thought it was a lazy ole Blackfish. He would have hulked up when he got up to that boat, and had I tried to grab it you just know that lure would have found my hand lol! It was 1 of those big ole lures with a billion hooks too. Plastic worms were out as the water had turned a little darker since the rain and it was moving a little faster.