Fishing. Period.

Here is the place for all offroad topics and general discussion
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Fishing. Period.

Post by swamp donkey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Pulling my light boats to off the road spots combined two of my favorite things, fishing and jeeping. Once I'm done, then the CAB's come out. Third favorite thing.

Chris and I beat thru the weeds to the back of a watermelon field down a long dirt road to re assess an irrigation pond he remembered from back in the nineties. Obvious nobody has fished this in forever, like so long the Bass forgot what a lure was. Which does not suck.

Whipped out the weedeaters and did a little trimming. Not to much...migrant farm labor is notorious about trashing an easy pond.

So, after sweating my ass off, it was time to fish, sucked down some water and got out the rod.

Worth the sweat and snakeyness...had an hour to fish. We caught eighteen up to 5 pounds, lost a bunch in the weeds. Fish hooked themselves. All from two spots on the bank. Used two junebug worms, we were weedeating, not fishing!
Now it's time to bring the Smokercraft. We can see the 5 foot drop to the water. not a problem with 33's and locked axles. This will be epic.

Busted out a CAB as Chris drive my ass home.
78trouble
DFMYWMI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fishing. Period.

Post by 78trouble » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:25 am

Sounds like a great time to me
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 am

Sounds like a damn fine time! I want to get out scalloping, but the reports I've heard are not good for St Marks and just a little better for Taylor county.

Maybe I should go to Talquin instead and catch some stump knockers!
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Were gonna go back with the boat this weekend. It will be serious cause the drop off is like 5 feet. The son in law is a big man, only way this happens.

I think we will catch a big bass, I mean BIG. Too many 5 pounders for there not to be a wall hanger for chris.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:16 am

It can be so funny. I’ve found places like that where the fish react that way having never seen a lure. Then other times it’s been the opposite. Like their survival skills kick in and the don’t touch them because they didn’t survive in the true wild by being dumb.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Done some more work to the here fishy fishy, so we're rolling to my spot on the flint in the morning...Looking for some tittie bream.
BloodyChamp
Lifted and Locked

Post by BloodyChamp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 am

If I were as good at getting titty titties as I am at getting titty bream...I’d be good at getting 2 of my favorite things
ropeman
DFMYWMI

Post by ropeman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am

I watched several big fish chase bait at Alligator Pt Saturday evening. Should have taken a pole and tried to reel one in. Sunday there were several big bream popping the water on the St Marks near Magnolia. I wasn't interested in fishing, just being near the water was good enough.
swamp donkey
DFMYWMI

Post by swamp donkey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 pm

My bucket list of fishing includes a big Shoal Bass, so that's my next quest. Not far up the Flint River is Sprewell Bluff Park. Some of the best kayaking water this side of the mountains. Shoal Bass fishing is described as trout water fishing for bass. Shallow water wading "shoals". Sounds like fun in this heat.

I think I will.